Nigerians are natural comedians – Chiwenzu Oham



        


Highflying Nigerian Comedian, Chinweizu Oham,  in this interview said she sees a very bright future in the Nigerian entertainment industry, noting that Nigerians are ‘natural comedians’. The New York-based entertainer plans big with another work tagged Chin’s Way, debuting soon.


What spurred your dream show, “Chin’s Way”?


The idea actually came after I graduated from school. This was when I started exploring creating something of mine that could allow me to use the skills I learned in school.


So, how did you actually start?


During this time, I joined the cast of a live sketch comedy show which helped me build and practice my comedic timing. I also began creating videos for Tik Tok that grew my skills as a content creator. Doing all these gave me the confidence to be able to launch my own venture, which is where Chin’s Way comes in. 


And does it peak here?


No. Chin’s Way is a semi-scripted talk show, I am still bringing in the techniques I learned as I will be playing a heightened version of myself. All my movements, my actions, and the things I say will be turned up to add to the comedy.


In each episode, I will bring on, one of my friends who have a different opinion on a specific topic. Nothing too serious; for example, the first episode will be about nature and being outdoors.


How do you plan to order it?


In it, I will be the host and will be against or for the topic. My guest will have the opposite opinion. Each episode will follow the same structure; opening with a story of my history with the topic, and then we will introduce the guest, and begin the interview portion of the episode. In this, we will discuss the topic and why the guest loves it. So, in the case of the first episode, we will talk about why my guest loves hiking, camping, etc, and why I hate it.

Throughout the episode, the interview portion will be interrupted by various little game segments. The episodes will end with us, hopefully having found some common ground and an “atonement” section where I have to do what I have spent the episode being against.


So, for the first episode, I will go on a picnic, in the park and sit on the grass. The chosen topics are lighthearted but will be made to feel like much higher stakes to add to the comedy of the

situation as a whole.


How do you plan to showcase the work?


The show will be posted on YouTube and TikTok and clips will be available on Instagram. These are the places where we can best reach the audience we want.


 


 


You sounds so passionate about this aspect of entertainment and one will want to ask how you got into the industry as well as have insight into your background?


I always knew a career in the entertainment industry was for me. I was branded a “drama queen” from a young age, so it was only natural I would want to be an actor. My first taste of acting was in the 5th grade. I joined the film club at my school, American International School in Abuja. It was not a very put-together film club, but we had fun. We created our short film in which I played the lead role. After that experience, I knew I couldn’t be creating content for people to only enjoy.


At 12, I moved to the US to attend boarding school.


I saw this as my opportunity to grow my knowledge of acting. I joined theater, where I learned other aspects of

what makes a show. I joined the film club, where I again was part of the creation of a short film.


Ever since then, I built on my creative pursuits. I knew the only thing I wanted to be doing was acting and creating, so I decided to follow that passion with the support of my parents. And in January 2021, I began attending the New York Film Academy in New York City, studying to get my BFA in Acting for Film.


 This course allowed me to, not only act but also to learn other aspects of the entertainment industry. I studied various techniques such as Meisner and Chekhov, strengthening my skills. I trained in improvisation and voice-over. I learned how to write screenplays and how to shoot and edit content for various platforms and devices. And most importantly, I learned more about myself as an artist.


At the New York Film Academy, I worked on various student films. I was the lead role in a short dialogue film by one of my close friends during my 2nd semester. After this, we would work together on a few different occasions.


 That was my first time doing a really dramatic role, and it was a challenge. But I was glad to be able to do it well. I would do a few more dramatic roles, but I always thrived in more comedic work.


 


Tell us one of those shows and the role you played?


A prime example would be my leading performance in a play during my final year at school. The play, titled “Stupid Flying Bird,” was the biggest project I had worked on up to that point. My character was seen as comedic relief. But that also meant my comedic timing had to be on point. It is something that has always come naturally to me.


I graduated in August of 2023, summa cum laude. After graduating, I had a screenwriter who was also an instructor at the New York Film Academy who reached out to me to be a part of a film he was directing.


That was my first experience on a professional set.


So, how was the journey since then?


After that, I began submitting myself to roles, to keep the momentum going.  I eventually was asked to be part of an all-female sketch comedy show called “Sketch and the City.”


The show was in early previews, intending to get a residency at a New York City theatre. This became my first experience with live sketch comedy. We premiered on June 15, 2024 at The Player’s Theatre in New York City.


 After the premiere, the theatre reached out and offered us a residency with a promise of at least three more shows spread out throughout this year and early next year. I already knew I loved comedy, but being part of this show allowed me to realize I also loved sketch comedy and that I would love to be part of something like ‘Saturday Night Live’ one day.


Now how is life after graduation?


Since graduating, I have also been exploring my side as a creator. I know that I want to eventually create a comedy series, but I want to start somewhere first. I began posting short videos on TikTok, experimenting with my comedy while trying to find my niche.


How did Chin”s Way came about and what’s the focus?


In July 2024, I partnered with former classmates to form a new concept for a show. The show, titled “Chin’s Way”. As said earlier, it is intended to be a short form talk show that has me, as the host, joined with a guest in each episode to discuss a topic we have very differing opinions on. We are pulling ideas from shows such as Ziwe and all the late-night talk shows. It will be a lighthearted, comedic show that will show how two people with very differing opinions can agree and disagree and still be friends. We have pitched the show to a mentor, and are currently in the pre-production phase with production slated to begin in the second week of September. We will be sharing the show on YouTube and TikTok with clips posted on Instagram.


This is just the beginning. I plan to grow and expand the show, and there are more ideas I am working on, that I plan to develop.


How do you intend to bring your talents to bear in your country, Nigeria?


I think this is an emerging market in Nigeria. I see many creators pop up on my Instagram and TikTok quite frequently, focusing on different aspects of life in Nigeria. Nigerians are natural comedians, so I enjoy watching the comedic content that comes from some of our people. There is a lot that can be showcased about the Nigerian way of life and I think Nigerian creators are doing a good job of showing the good, the bad, and the ugly through content creation.


What’s the general take home from this concept?



First and foremost, the show is for Gen Z by Gen Z. It brings a fresh take on the typical format of talk shows. I’m not just interviewing my friends, getting to know more about the things they love, and playing games with them, I’m also playing a character. We are introducing conflict and tension, and we’re resolving it in a comedic, very sort of unserious way. It shows that you can

have very different opinions from other people, but still be great friends, and that there are healthy ways to have disagreements. There are many talk shows out there, but this is a first of its

kind. I truly believe it will grab the attention of the younger generation, who are always looking for something new and who will appreciate the sort of satirical take on traditional talk shows.

And eventually, it will grow into something so much bigger.


What can the youth learn from your journey so far?



They can learn to just give themselves time. There have been so many times when I felt like giving up, times when I questioned if this was the right path for me. Entertainment is not a stable career at all. You have to get used to a lot of rejection. Thankfully, in my case, I have a family that is very supportive and a great community that I built in New York through church and school that are all rooting for me to succeed, which is very important.


It is very hard to go through life alone; a good community, family, and strong faith are paramount. Nine-year-old me just knew I wanted to act, to entertain, but I had no idea how to get there, or if I would ever be able to. I had to overcome a lot of insecurities I felt both in and out. The day I finally admitted that I wanted to go to acting school as I couldn’t see myself doing anything else, was a big moment of growth for me.


However, acting school was only the beginning because going to school does not guarantee a job in the industry. After graduating, when I wasn’t working or doing anything, I started feeling as though I had failed, as though I made a mistake in not pursuing a more stable career. It took a lot of crying and praying to realize how far I had gotten. I had to remind myself that I graduated summa cum laude with a BFA in Acting in an accelerated three-year programme. That was not an easy feat, and it taught me that some things take time; ideas take some time to come to fruition, and sometimes you just need to give yourself some grace.

I’ve learned that some days will be harder than others, but it will all be okay in the end. Now, I not only have this show, I am creating and starring in, but I am also currently interning at a talent agency here in New York City where every day I learn more about the ins and outs of the industry. Surely, things are falling into right places.


Project into the future of content creation in Nigeria?


I think it’ll be a big market. Nigerians are very funny and creative people, and I am constantly seeing more and more content pop up from Nigerians on TikTok and Instagram. Different kinds of creators: beauty, fashion, lifestyle, comedy, food, travel. There is so much to do with Nigeria. The country is so rich with culture, and more people around the world are getting very interested in the culture and people. Where there is demand, there is supply. So, many more content creators will be coming up to showcase the rich culture and lifestyle of Nigeria in the coming years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safe Us From Olu Omo's planned Mayhem in Lagos ,NURTW Members Appeal to Governor Sanwoolu

LASTMA ARRAIGNS 12 OFFICERS BEFORE DISCIPLINARY PANEL FOR VARIOUS OFFENSES BOTHERING ON CORRUPT PRACTICES, ABSENTEEISM

LASTMA GETS NEW GENERAL MANAGER.